Coerver® Coaching is a global football coaching program inspired by the teachings of Wiel Coerver and created in 1984 by Alfred Galustian and Chelsea great, Charlie Cooke.
Coerver® Coaching is
A football skills teaching method suited for all ages but especially for players aged 5-16 years old of all abilities and their parents, coaches and teachers
A Method that focuses on Individual skills development and small group play
Endorsed and recommended by the top federations, associations, legends/experts of the game, club teams and corporations including:
- French Football Federation
- Football Federation of Australia
- Chinese Football Association
- Japanese Football Association
- Bayern Munich FC
- Newcastle United FC
- Arsenal FC
- Global partner adidas®
Highlights since 1984:
- 8 TV series in 8 languages
- Videos, DVD’s and books in 12 languages
- 1.5 million kids and coaches have attended Coerver® Coaching camps/clinics
- Coerver® Coaching centers operating in 30 countries
- adidas® partner for 20 years
The ultimate goal of the Coerver® Coaching Method is to:
- Develop skilled, confident and creative players
- Make the game fun to practice and play
- Teach good sportsmanship and respect for all
- Value winning but not more than character and performance
- Provide a safe & educational experience that meets best practice criteria
Coerver® Coaching Pyramid of Player Development. Each block combines dozens of games and training exercises for all ages and many have been featured in the Coerver® Coaching book, “Master class” series and the “New Era” video series. All the exercises can be used by both coaches who are planning team training sessions and by players practicing on their own.
Ball Mastery is the foundation of every player’s development and becomes essential for progress through the pyramid. But don’t think of this as a ladder, where one level must be mastered before continuing to the next level. Instead each step is integral to the others and the player improvement is achieved, as the techniques at each level become stronger.
Coerver Coaching History
In the late 1970s, Dutch European Championship winning coach Wiel Coerver led a revolution in soccer coaching. He was dissatisfied with the lack of individual skills and emphasis on defensive play in the professional game; an emphasis that many thought, was stifling the more exciting, attacking style of play necessary to score goals and attract fans.
Up to that point, little attention had been given to individual skill development, because no one knew quite how to teach these skills. It was also, then, widely assumed that the great players of the game were innately gifted far beyond the capabilities of the average player.
Coerver’s early focus was on teaching ball mastery and 1 v 1 skills by encouraging players to emulate the “moves” of soccer’s all-time greats, such as Sir Stanley Matthews, Cryuff, Beckenbauer and Pele.
In 1984, inspired by Wiel Coerver’s Philosophy, Alfred Galustian and Charlie Cooke founded what is now known around the world as Coerver® Coaching.